Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Great Book!

Sorry to all of you who could care less about books, but I'm loving the ideas in this book!
In a world where values are being lost and overlooked it's nice to read a book about the importance for everyone to have values and how to teach them to our families.  As parents in this world or at least for me, it's not always easy to know what, when, and how to teach our children some things they should know. 

It was written back is 1993 and was a New York Best Seller.  Richard and Linda Eyre have written many parenting books.  I actually learned about this one reading another one of theirs The Entitlement Trap (also another great book).  The book is great for anyone religious or not because it doesn't put a religious spin on anything and brings that out in the first of the book.  It just takes a value (honesty, loyalty, dependability, service, etc.) explains its importance in our world and gives stories and examples of how to teach preschoolers, school age children, and adolescents about each one.  It has 12 different values and the idea is to work on one value each month.

It has been really fun to try out in our house.  The kids love the weekly competition to see who was best at using the value over the week.  And get a certificate on their door for the week.

If you're interested you can probably get it from your library or buy it used off of Amazon for about 5 bucks.  Even if you hate reading you only have to read a chapter a month to keep up with it and really not even the whole chapter since it is broken down to different age ranges. :)  It's totally worth your time!

4 comments:

Tim said...

Sounds like a really good idea.

Unknown said...

Hey Celeste, great post. I love their books. One of their many daughters was in my mission. They must know what they are talking about because she was an awesome missionary and person. By the way, this is Sonny.

Celeste said...

Hey sonny! That's cool you knew one of their daughters. I am on the third of their many books. They have such great ideas for teaching families. It's almost common sense once you read them. I always think, oh that makes so much sense and why didn't I ever think of doing that!

Ryan and Holly said...

So, I finally got on my old computer and am transferring all my blog links. I just read this post and had to comment because just today I was reading a book by Lynda and her daughter Shawni. It's called "A Mother's Book of Secrets". Shawni also has a blog called 71toes that is just awesome! Great advice in the books. I'll get this one you recommend next!

.